It appears that LED face masks are the recent new trend in skin care. However, it might surprise you to learn that LED face masks have been around for quite a number of years and are not a new invention, they are commonly used by dermatologists in skin clinics before, but more and more beauty lover buy the led face mask to use at home.
How Does an LED Face Mask Work?
LED face masks use a variety of different colored light wavelengths to penetrate the skin. These different spectrums of color work on the skin cells below the surface. And, each different light color has a unique benefit.
Three different colored lights are used to benefit your skin in different ways.
- Red light is used to rejuvenate the skin and eliminate the signs of aging. This type of light stimulates the production of elastin and collagen. The production of collagen will naturally decrease over time as your skin ages. This is why your skin loses its elasticity. The result if lines and wrinkles on the surface of your skin.
- Blue light goes below the surface of the skin and destroys the bacteria that sits below the surface. Eliminating this bacteria reduces the risk of future breakouts. This is beneficial for people who suffer from acne and regular skin breakouts as it removes the bacteria that causes the problem in the first place.
- Yellow light, on the other hand, has the ability to reduce inflammation and redness in the skin. This can be particularly useful for people who have problems with pigmentation and suffer from various conditions that cause redness.
What are the Benefits of Using an LED Face Mask?
According to extensive research that has been conducted by skin specialists, an LED face mask can have numerous benefits for people who have problematic skin. That’s why they’ve been used clinically for many years.
Here are some of the benefits that have been associated with LED face masks.
- LED face masks that emit red light can help to reduce the effects of aging and make skin look smoother and more radiant. The red light helps to stimulate collagen and improves the skin’s circulation. This can be a major benefit in keeping your skin looking younger and softer for longer.
- For people who suffer from acne and repetitive breakouts, the blue light can be beneficial because it helps to eliminate bacteria from below the surface of the skin. The blue light itself can actually penetrate the pores and hair follicles in the surface of the skin. Eliminating bacteria below the surface of the skin can help to reduce future breakouts especially if the surface of the skin is kept clean.
Other benefits of an LED face mask include:
- May help to treat the inflammation that can lead to rosacea, eczema and psoriasis.
- Has the ability to promote faster skin healing if your skin has been exposed to aggressive treatments such laser therapy.
- Regular use can make your skin look both healthier and younger and give you an overall radiant glow.
Are LED Face Masks Safe?
LED light therapy is completely safe and won’t cause any damage. In fact, LED face masks have an “excellent” safety profile, according to a review published in February 2018 in the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. “LEDs are usually very safe for all skin colors and types as the procedure is non-invasive and does not require the application of any topicals with the potential for irritation,” agrees Dr. Maiman.
Beside, when you use the led face mask, especially if you have a history of seizures or migraines triggered by bright lights, please wear the goggles or close the eyes to protect your eyes. People who take photosensitizing medications like lithium, certain antipsychotics, or some antibiotics should avoid LED light altogether.
You may experience redness and tenderness if overused. Before you use the led face mask, please read the user manual carefully, normally we suggest the exposure times with LED masks are 10-15 minutes per treatment and only need to be performed several times a week. If you notice any redness or signs of sensitivity, stop immediately and consult a dermatologist.
How Often Should You Use an LED Face Mask?
An LED face mask can be used every day after the initial introduction period. It should be used for a maximum of 15 minutes in order to avoid damage to your skin.
Here’s how to condition your skin when using an LED face mask for the first time:
- During the first week, you should only use the LED face mask once every three days and limit the time to only ten minutes.
- The second week, you can start using the mask every other day, again, for only ten minutes.
- In week number 3, you can continue to use the LED face mask every second day for a duration of ten to fifteen minutes.
- In week four, you can start to establish a regular routine and use your LED face mask on a daily basis. Set the duration to around 10 to 15 minutes and don’t go beyond this time.
In summary, using LED face masks can provide numerous benefits to your skin. The different spectrums of light can help to stimulate the production of collagen, eliminate bacteria below the skin surface and reduce surface redness.
These Led Face masks are also great for improving the appearance of your skin to make it look more radiant and healthy. Used correctly, LED face masks can help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles and help to prevent breakouts. Plus, they’re easy to use for a short amount of time every day to help improve the look and feel of your skin.